Sunday, July 06, 2008

Belated Fourth of July Cookout

On Sunday we had SP's mother over for a belated Fourth of July cookout. We grilled hamburgers and hot dogs, I made my potato salad and my mother-in-law brought antipasto.


I love this antipasto with its mix of lettuce, meat and cheese, pepperoni, olives, spicy peppers, onions, tomato and mozzarella:


I made my All-American potato salad:


The burgers were outstanding. After our success with the steaks from the Amish butcher we went back for the ground beef. The price was actually comparable to the supermarket but the quality was way better. You could actual taste a beefy flavor that, when mixed with the char from the grill, made for an amazingly good burger.


I had mine with cheddar cheese, sliced red onion, tomato and lettuce with a little ketchup and mayo.

UPDATE: Here's the recipe for the potato salad.

All- American Potato Salad
Cook's Country Magazine

2 lbs Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and cut into ¾-inch cubes
1½ tsp salt, divided
3 Tbs dill pickle juice, plus ¼ cup finely chopped dill pickles, divided
1 Tbs yellow mustard
¼ tsp pepper
½ tsp celery seed
½ cup mayonnaise
¼ cup sour cream
½ small red onion, chopped finely
1 rib celery, chopped finely
2 large hard-boiled eggs, peeled and cut into ¼-inch dice (optional)

Place potatoes in large saucepan with cold water to cover by 1-inch. Bring to boil over high heat, add 1 tsp. salt, reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer until potatoes are tender, 10- to 15 minutes.

Drain potatoes thoroughly, then spread out on rimmed baking sheet. Mix 2 Tbs. pickle juice and mustard together in small bowl, drizzle pickle juice mixture over potatoes, and toss until evenly coated. Refrigerate until cooled, about 30 minutes.

Mix remaining tablespoon pickle juice, chopped pickles, remaining ½ tsp. salt, pepper, celery seed, mayo, sour cream, red onion and celery in a large bowl. Toss in cooled potatoes, cover, and refrigerate until well chilled, about 30 minutes. Gently stir in eggs, if using, just before serving.
Pin It!

8 comments:

  1. Wow - everything looks great! It's the perfect July 4th holiday feast :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That potato salad looks really yum. Care to share the recipe? Or is it a secret? :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. Joelen - Thanks! It was all tasty. :)

    Katie - Not a secret. :) I updated the post with the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay!!! I can't wait to make your Potato Salad!!!! I LOVE potato salad! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was sick last weekend so I never ended up making 4th of July food. Your potato salad was on my menu! I got it from you a long time ago. I was all excited as it was my first time cooking for that holiday. BUT I am going to make that up this weekend. BBQ beef sandwiches and potato salad a la Home Cook!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jessy - Good to see you around. Katie is adorable! I love seeing all the pics you guys take of her. :)

    If you make this potato salad you'll love it. It's so good!

    Melissa - Awww...I hope you're feeling better. :( I'm so bummed you couldn't make the potato salad, but the BBQ beef sandwiches sound fantastic and will go great with the potato salad. Speaking of BBQ beef sandwiches...I need to make those again. The recipe I made once was fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The potatoe salad looked so yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi. Did you season the burgers in any way? If so, what did you use? It all looks fantastic!!

    ReplyDelete

I've been told there are issues with comments going through. After you comment, you should see the following message: "Your comment has been saved and will be visible after blog owner approval." If you don't see a message it means the comment didn't go through. Please try commenting again! I'm sorry!