Monday, October 13, 2008

Anniversary Burgers and Loaded Potato Salad

As I said in the previous post, last week I was trying not to think about the fact that I was coming down with a wicked head cold. I don't get sick that often but every other year or so I get a really bad cold. By Thursday it was obvious that I was sick, so I tried to rest up since our fifth wedding anniversary was on Saturday. Unfortunately this cold was in for the long haul and I was still very sick for our anniversary. We had a ton of fun things planned (breakfast at the B&B where we got married, a walk along the canal like we did last year, capped off with dinner in the city at one of our favorite restaurants), but it wasn't meant to be. We had to cancel everything. It was a real bummer, but we tried to make the best of it.

On Saturday I wasn't feeling 100%, but I was going a little stir-crazy after being stuck in the house for a few days, so we went out to do some fall shopping. While we were out we picked up some good ground sirloin for burgers.


I thought it would be fun to try a new loaded potato salad recipe I saw on another food blog, so I got the fixings for that as well.


The potato salad recipe is supposed to be like those loaded potato skins you get as bar food in potato salad form. I liked the concept, but it was a little dry and needed more seasoning. Of course I made this when my tastebuds weren't in top form, so I'll definitely play around with this again.


The folks over at A Hamburger Today are always raving about how perfect Kraft American cheese is for hamburgers because of its meltability, so we bought a package of Kraft singles for our burgers:


And let me tell you, these were some great burgers! The meat was fantastic, the bun was soft and pliable and the cheese was wonderfully melty. I could only taste every other bite or so (stupid cold) so I can't wait to make burgers again.


It wasn't a typical anniversary meal, but we were together and that's what counts. The romantics out there will be happy to know we decided to forgo any real celebration this past weekend in lieu of a total do-over on the 18th. We've rescheduled everything, so barring anything crazy happening we'll be celebrating our fifth anniversary in style...a week late.
Pin It!

4 comments:

  1. I am glad you tried the potato salad! We really enjoyed it - Mollie suggested keeping some extra sour cream on hand in case you find it too dry. Let me know what you come up with next time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww. I'm sorry you were sick for your big day. But Congratulations on 5 years. Yay! :D

    I like the loaded potato salad idea from Colleen and I'm sure Steve would really like it. I'll make a note of it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Colleen - Thanks for the tip about the sour cream. I'll definitely be making this again so I'll keep you posted on any changes. :)

    Melissa - Thanks. It was a bummer but we're looking forward to the 18th. How was the wedding?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ehhh... long story. Steve and I decided we really don't like Vegas. And my family is difficult. That's being kind.

    ReplyDelete

I've been told there are issues with comments going through. After you comment, you should see the following message: "Your comment has been saved and will be visible after blog owner approval." If you don't see a message it means the comment didn't go through. Please try commenting again! I'm sorry!