Wednesday, December 17, 2008

We interrupt your regular program to bring you...

... a photo of our Christmas tree.


Normally this wouldn't be anything monumental, but this year SP and I decided not to get a tree. Or bake Christmas cookies. Or send Christmas cards. Our families had already decided we were just buying for the kids, so that took the pressure off buying tons of gifts. We're going through some emotionally trying times right now, stuff I won't get into on this cooking blog, and we decided it was best for our mental health to just keep things low-key this year.

Apparently SP shared this with his coworkers today. They insisted we at least get a tree, saying we would always regret it if we didn't. He smiled and nodded, but didn't think anything more about it, until he was walking out to his car to head home. He always calls me when he leaves work so I was on the phone with him when he burst out laughing. I asked what was going on and he said, "Someone put a tree on my car." I thought I misheard him. Then he noticed one of his boss's business cards tucked into the door and he realized what had happened.

After he called both his bosses he found out the whole story. M & D heard what he said about not getting a tree and decided they needed to act. They went out at lunch and bought a tree, asked around the office to figure out which car was ours and then stuck the tree on the hood after telling the security guard to keep a close watch over it until SP came out to go home.

To say we're touched is the understatement of the century. I've already cried twice, very happy tears. The generosity of these two men is overwhelming. They didn't have to go to all this trouble for us, but they did. They went out of their way to make sure we smiled this Christmas season. My faith in humanity, in the enduring nature of the Christmas spirit, has been restored. I cannot believe how lucky we are to have people in our lives who care about us this much. My cup runneth over...
Pin It!

15 comments:

  1. That is so sweet and kind. I'm sure things will be better in 2009 Have a happy holiday and there are always silver linings, we just have to look for them sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow - what a story. I got tears in my eyes just reading it. I love hearing things like this because it really does restore your faith in other humans. I hope things get better soon and whatever it is that you're facing makes you stronger. Thanks for reminding me that there are still good people in this life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh wow, that's so sweet! It's so easy to only see the bad in the world these days until you read something like this.

    I hope whatever you guys are going through gets better soon. <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful tree and so super sweet of your husband's boss. I hope this helps bring a little more holiday spirit and things get easier in the new year. *Hugs!*

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a beautiful and touching gift!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awww - that made me cry a little.

    It's so wonderful to hear of an example of the true meaning of Christmas.

    Have a good one.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a wonderful story. Thank you for sharing!

    My husband I have have cut back a lot this Christmas as well. No cards, no gifts, no parties..but I told him we had to at least get a tree because I love putting it up and enjoying it throughout the month. I try to remember that Christmas isn't all about gifts and all the hustle and bustle of the holidays. It's about remembering the birth of our Savior. I hope you have a very Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's awesome. You guys are loved, that's for sure.

    Merry Christmas to you both. You're going to weather these storms, I have much hope.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Aww, that is so nice! It's amazing what happens when you least expect it :) Here's to a better 2009!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Aw! That is so sweet! And I'm glad you have a tree - I think it will bring you some cheer!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That's so kind! The tree looks great -- Happy Holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  12. That's just so kind of them...and it looks lovely!

    Big hugs and Happy Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you to everyone who replied to this post. We're doing OK and I know in my heart 2009 will be a better year. Happy Holidays to everyone!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Really heart warming story. Isn't it wonderful how this season brings out the best in people ?

    Happy holidays and wish you have a better year in 2009.

    ReplyDelete

I've been told there are issues with comments going through. After you comment, you should see the following message: "Your comment has been saved and will be visible after blog owner approval." If you don't see a message it means the comment didn't go through. Please try commenting again! I'm sorry!