Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Curry Chicken Salad

We rarely have sandwiches for dinner even though they're easy and light, especially in the summer. SP asked me to try making curry chicken salad. I didn't use a real recipe, just borrowed from various recipes I found online, but the result was sensational.


I was really proud of this meal. I poached the chicken breasts (about 1 1/4lbs) in water with cut up celery, onion and peppercorns. I kept the water at barely a simmer and cooked the breasts for exactly 30 minutes. They were moist and tender - perfect for chicken salad. Everything else I pretty much eyeballed to taste. I quartered red grapes, chopped walnuts, finely minced a few scallions, and diced a rib of celery. That all went into a bowl with the chicken, salt and pepper and was tossed with lemon juice (about half a lemon), a few tablespoons sour cream and maybe 1/2 cup of mayo. Once everything was well mixed I added the curry powder. I started with a very small amount, mixed it in, then tasted. Less is definitely more when it comes to curry powder in chicken salad and I think I got the perfect balance.

We made sandwiches using leftover hamburger rolls and I served chips alongside. An easy, delicious meal.
Pin It!

2 comments:

  1. How wonderful! Way to wing it, and have it come out so delicious. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sometimes borrowing from other recipes to create your own is the best way! Your sandwich looks great.

    ReplyDelete

I've been told there are issues with comments going through. After you comment, you should see the following message: "Your comment has been saved and will be visible after blog owner approval." If you don't see a message it means the comment didn't go through. Please try commenting again! I'm sorry!