Saturday, September 26, 2009

Chicken and Artichoke Saute

One of SP's coworkers gave him this recipe for me when he told her I was really into artichokes these days. I can't believe I waited so long to make it. This was outstanding, a perfect dish in every way. I can't wait to make it again.


I served the saute with mashed potatoes. I don't know why but lately my mashed potatoes have tasted amazing. SP always comments that they're very potato-y, which sounds funny but when you can really taste the potato in the mash it makes you realize how many times you haven't tasted it. Just look at this pan of deliciousness:


The printout I have doesn't say where the recipe is from, but when I Googled it I found an identical recipe posted on the UK version of Allrecipes that says it's from Readers Digest, so I'm going with that. I made a few modifications, the big one being using chicken breasts instead of thighs because I prefer white meat.

Chicken and Artichoke Saute
Slightly adapted from Readers Digest

4 tablespoons flour
1 tablespoon dried thyme
4 skinless boneless chicken breasts
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 garlic clove, minced
2 cans artichokes (canned in water), drained and halved
2 red peppers, seeded and thinly sliced
1/2 cup kalamata olives, halved
4 tablespoons dry white wine
1/2 cup chicken stock
Zest and juice of 1 lemon
Salt and pepper

Place the flour, thyme, salt and pepper in a large plastic bag and shake well. Add the chicken to the bag and shake until they are lightly and evenly coated. Remove the chicken to a plate, shaking off any excess flour.

Heat the oil in a large pan over moderate heat. Add the chicken and saute for about 5 minutes on each side, moving around occasionally, until golden brown. Continuing cooking for 10 minutes or until the juices run clear when they are pierced. Transfer to a plate and keep warm.

Pour off any excess oil from the pan, leaving just a film, then add the garlic and cook for 10 seconds, stirring. Add the artichokes and red peppers, and saute for 3–5 minutes, stirring frequently, until the peppers are tender. Stir in the black olives. Add the wine and allow to bubble, stirring, until it has evaporated. Stir in the stock, lemon juice and lemon zest, bring to the boil and cook until reduced by about half. Season with salt and pepper.

Add the chicken back to the pan to heat through in the sauce. Serve with mashed potatoes or rice to sop up the delicious sauce.
Pin It!

5 comments:

  1. That looks great! I love the combination of artichokes and kalamata olives. They are two of my favorite things.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I sounds delicious!! I love chicken, articokes, and kalamata. They are definitely on my next shopping list. Thanks for another great recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We thoroughly enjoyed this dish tonight. Even the kids raved! I'll be posting it this week with a link. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've loved your blog for years and always re-read through it. It's funny I'm just reading this again about tasting the potatoes in mash, because I ate some of my dad's mashed potatoes the other night and noticed they really tasted like potatoes and then thought about how mine don't seem to have that potato-y flavour :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww! That's so sweet - thank you. :) Re: the potatoes, I think it's funny how some taste very potato-y while others don't. Must be something about the potatoes themselves.

      Delete

I've been told there are issues with comments going through. After you comment, you should see the following message: "Your comment has been saved and will be visible after blog owner approval." If you don't see a message it means the comment didn't go through. Please try commenting again! I'm sorry!