Friday, July 01, 2011

Caprese Pasta

Two of the things I love most about summer are fresh tomatoes and basil. I love the simple flavors of mozzarella, tomato and basil, also known as caprese. I usually grow my own tomatoes but last year they all fell victim to blossom rot so I skipped them this year. But I am still growing basil (among other herbs) for the simple joy of being able to cook with them whenever I want. My friend Melissa recently posted this recipe for caprese pasta, which I've made countless times before but rediscovered thanks to her post.


I haven't tried her version with the shredded mozzarella since I'm a sucker for fresh, but if she says it's awesome then I believe it.

Caprese Pasta

There are no set amounts here. It's all up to you. This is what you will need:

Dry pasta
Cherry/grape tomatoes
Fresh basil leaves
Olive oil
Kosher or sea salt
Fresh ground black pepper
Fresh mozzarella, diced

Cook pasta in boiling salted water according to package directions; drain well. Pour into a medium bowl, squirt a bit of olive oil on it, toss and let cool to room temperature.

Cut up the tomatoes and chiffonade the basil. Mix together in a large bowl, soak with olive oil, and add salt and pepper, to taste. Let sit for at least 5 minutes.

Pour the cooled pasta into the bowl with the tomato basil mixture. Combine well, taste, and add more salt and/or pepper, if needed. Add diced mozzarella and toss.
Pin It!

3 comments:

  1. *sigh* Isn't this the best? I really could eat this every few days all year long, but I try to hold back until tomatoes are at least decent. I totally want this for dinner now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just stumbled upon your blog and wanted to say Hello!

    This recipe looks so good... I just may have to make it tonight :)

    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i really love the combination of tomatoes and mozzarella, bocconcini is also really nice

    ReplyDelete

I've been told there are issues with comments going through. After you comment, you should see the following message: "Your comment has been saved and will be visible after blog owner approval." If you don't see a message it means the comment didn't go through. Please try commenting again! I'm sorry!