Friday, October 28, 2011

Roast Beef with Mushroom Gravy

Another delicious recipe from Cassie, this one for Roast Beef with Mushroom Gravy. I recently discovered why I was having so much trouble with my crock pot (mine is very large so standard recipes tend to burn, a problem I've solved by adding a Pyrex or Corningware dish to make the cooking area smaller) so I'm no longer hesitant to use it.


I prepped the onions and mushrooms the night before so I could sear the beef in the morning before heading to work. I loved coming home to a house that smelled of delicious roast beef with gravy. My only complaint was the greasiness of the gravy. My cut of beef let off a lot of fat, so next time I'll strain the gravy through my fat separator before serving. I served the roast with mashed potatoes but I think egg noodles would also be awesome and am planning to do that next time. Thanks for another winner, Cassie!

Roast Beef with Mushroom Gravy
Cassie Craves

1 3-pound beef roast
2 tablespoons butter, divided
2 tablespoons olive oil
Salt and pepper
1 pound mushrooms, sliced
1 onion, thinly sliced
2 cloves garlic
1 10.75-ounce can cream of mushroom soup
1 packet dry mushroom gravy mix
1 cup water

In a Dutch oven, heat olive oil and 1 tablespoon of butter over medium-high heat. Season beef roast liberally with salt and pepper. Add beef roast and sear on all sides until caramelized. Add to the bottom of a crock pot.

To same pot, add remaining tablespoon of butter, mushrooms and onions. Cook until mushrooms are brown and onions are soft, then season with salt and pepper. Stir in garlic and cook and stir for 30 seconds. Stir in beef broth and scrape the bottom of the pot with a wooden spoon to release browned bits. Add mushroom mixture to meat in crock pot.

Mix together cream of mushroom soup and mushroom gravy mix. Pour over meat and mushroom mixture.

Cook on low for 8 to 10 hours, until meat begins to fall apart. If it looks greasy, strain mushrooms and onions from the gravy then put gravy into a fat separator. Add the mushrooms and onions back in and serve with mashed potatoes or egg noodles.
Pin It!

4 comments:

  1. I saw your tip about the Pyrex, and promptly facepalmed myself, LOL! It's one of those, "Why didn't I think of that?" moments. hehe

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you liked this! We just had it last weekend, and you're right: Nothing beats the smell of roast beef and gravy cooking.

    I did make it with homemade egg noodles this most recent time, and it was DELICIOUS. So I can definitely recommend it with egg noodles! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks so good and I love the mushroom gravy. It goes so perfectly with roast beef.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very good! I made this on Wednesday. I thought the same too, my roast must have really been fatty. I didn't have a fat separator so I just tried to skim most off the top. I ended up transferring the gravy to a sauce pan and adding a thickener. Served it with mashed potatoes and a biscuit. It was definitely what I was craving! I will be making this again soon and maybe trimming some of the fat off the roast before cooking.

    ReplyDelete

I've been told there are issues with comments going through. After you comment, you should see the following message: "Your comment has been saved and will be visible after blog owner approval." If you don't see a message it means the comment didn't go through. Please try commenting again! I'm sorry!