Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Quick Chicken Vesuvio


When Lishie posted this recipe for Quick Chicken Vesuvio as part of the last Blogger's Choice recipe swap I knew it would end up on a weekly menu sooner rather than later. I love the convenience of one-pot meals and I'm always looking for new ways to cook chicken.

I decided to combine the original recipe and Lishie's adaptation with the artichoke hearts. Despite SP's aversion, I absolutely love artichokes and I figure incorporating them into meals every 6 months or so won't kill him (love you, honey!) Cooking the potatoes in the same pan as the chicken forced me to sacrifice the crispiness I would have gotten had I cooked them separately, but that was fine by me. This was delicious and incredibly easy since everything cooked in one pan. I'm not sure if the end product should have been more soupy since the recipe calls for crusty bread for dipping. Mine was pretty dry so there was no dipping being done, but we love crusty bread so I served it anyway. I ended up having to use 1 cup of chicken stock instead of 1/2 cup of stock and 1/2 cup of white wine because someone (ahem!) dumped the last of the bottle of white wine we had on Mother's Day instead of saving it. I also realized in writing this post that I forgot to squeeze lemon juice over the top before serving. I think the acidity would have guilded the lily so don't forget that step.


Baby Girl helped me with the parsley (she's good at picking off the leaves and stacking them on the cutting board). She ate one piece of chicken and some of the broccoli I had steamed on the side, but chowed down on the potatoes. I call that a win.

Quick Chicken Vesuvio
Rachael Ray via DeLish and Tales From a Mad Men Kitchen

1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
2 baking potatoes, peeled and sliced 1/4 inch thick
6 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
1 teaspoon dried oregano, lightly crushed
2 teaspoons salt and pepper
2 pounds skinless, boneless chicken breast, cut into large chunks
1/2 cup flour, for coating
1/2 cup dry white wine
1/2 cup chicken stock
1 15-oz can artichoke hearts, drained
1/4 cup finely chopped flat-leaf parsley
1 lemon
Crusty bread, for serving

Preheat oven to 375ºF.

In a large skillet, heat about 1/4 cup olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the potatoes and garlic; season with the oregano and lots of salt and pepper. Cook, turning occasionally, until browned, about 15 minutes. Move the potatoes to the side of the pan, add 2 tablespoons olive oil. Season the chicken liberally with salt and pepper and coat in flour. Brown the chicken on each side until golden, 3-4 minutes. Deglaze the pan with the wine and stock. Stir in the artichoke hearts.

Transfer the skillet into the oven. Roast to cook chicken through, 10-12 minutes. Top with the parsley and a squeeze of lemon juice. Serve with bread for dipping.
Pin It!

3 comments:

  1. Glad you all enjoyed it! I love the simplicity of it! And yeah, there wasn't much to "soup" for us either!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved your idea for adding artichokes. They were delicious. You should definitely make it again with the potatoes added in.

      Delete
  2. Nothing beats a quick and easy recipe that is also delicious. It looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete

I've been told there are issues with comments going through. After you comment, you should see the following message: "Your comment has been saved and will be visible after blog owner approval." If you don't see a message it means the comment didn't go through. Please try commenting again! I'm sorry!