Monday, February 18, 2013

Horseradish Burgers with Havarti and Caramelized Onions

I love a good burger, even when I have to cook it inside in a pan rather than out on the charcoal grill. I'm not a big fan of winter and there's just something about eating a burger that makes me feel like summer is right around the corner. These Horseradish Burgers with Havarti and Grilled Onions have been on my radar for awhile. The combination of SP chastising me for letting the freezer get out of control again after we had to toss everything due to Hurricane Sandy and an open bottle of horseradish that he bought after Christmas to go with the leftover roast beef meant it was time to finally make them.

horseradish burger2

This is one outstanding burger. I'd never had havarti before and didn't know what to expect, so Baby Girl and I sampled it together. In my opinion it tastes like a mild cheddar and I loved the creamy texture. Baby Girl kept asking me to cut off more so she could eat it, so I made sure to put a nice, thick layer on her burger, which she gobbled up.

I always have her smell and taste the ingredients I use in the kitchen and she was quite surprised by the pungent smell of the horseradish, which added a nice, subtle bite to the burgers without being overwhelming. I loved the sweet onions with the beefy burger, the creamy cheese and the bite from the horseradish. It's so simple but really delicious.

Horseradish Burgers with Havarti and Caramelized Onions
As seen on I Was Born to Cook, adapted from Tyler Florence

1 1/4 pounds ground beef
1/8 cup prepared horseradish
Salt and pepper
1 teaspoon olive oil
1 large onion, thinly sliced
Sliced havarti cheese
Burger buns
Mayo

Put beef in a bowl. Add the horseradish, salt and pepper. Form into 4 equal patties. Use your thumn to press an indentation in the center of each patty. Allow to rest at room temperature while you make the caramelized onions.

Heat the oil in a non-stick skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and season with salt and pepper. Allow the onion to cook slowly - you want it to get brown without burning. Lower the heat if the onions are browning too quickly. If the pan seems dry, add a splash of water. The onions should take about 20-30 minutes to turn a nice, caramel color and become soft.

When the onions are done, cook the burgers on a grill or in a pan on the stove. (I cooked these in a pan over medium-high heat for about 4 minutes per side, which was a perfect medium). After you flip the burgers add the cheese. Cover for 1 minute to melt the cheese. Serve on toasted buns with mayo and the caramelized onions.
Pin It!

1 comment:

  1. The flavors in this burger are some of my favorite! Love horseradish and meat. And you´re right about cooking them in the grill.

    ReplyDelete

I've been told there are issues with comments going through. After you comment, you should see the following message: "Your comment has been saved and will be visible after blog owner approval." If you don't see a message it means the comment didn't go through. Please try commenting again! I'm sorry!