Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Cannoli Cheesecake

I've had my eye on Melissa's Cannoli Cheesecake since she first posted it. I love, love, love cannoli and there's a place near my house that makes such awesome cannoli I end up taking one home since I'm always too full after dinner to eat it there. When my mom and I were figuring out the Easter menu I jumped at the chance to make this cheesecake.

cheesecake

I opted to leave out the orange zest to stay true to my favorite cannoli and took Melissa's advice about just coating the bottom of the pan with the cookie crumbs. You all know I'm not really a baker (I don't own a springform pan so SP had to drive to my mom's one night to borrow one of hers), but this was simple to make. Of course Baby Girl helped and loved sampling the batter before the eggs were added. She also enjoyed the mini chips.

cheesecake2

We all enjoyed this - it tastes just like the cannoli filling I know and love, although I think I overcooked it slightly. The center was perfect but the closer I got to the edge of my slice the firmer it became. Something to remember next time.

Cannoli Cheesecake
As seen on I Was Born to Cook

2 cups crushed vanilla wafers
3 tablespoons sugar
7 tablespoons butter, melted
3 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese, at room temperature
1 cup ricotta cheese
2 tablespoons AP flour
pinch of salt
1 1/4 cups sugar
1/2 cup mini chocolate chips
1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
4 eggs, at room temperature
confectioners’ sugar, for garnish

Position oven rack to middle of oven and preheat to 375 degrees.

Stir cookie crumbs and 3 tablespoons sugar together in a bowl, then mix in melted butter until crumbs get slightly clumpy. Transfer to a 9-inch springform pan and press evenly along the bottom. Bake for about 10 minutes, or until slightly brown. Let cool on a rack. Lower oven temperature to 300 degrees.

Put paddle attachment on stand mixer. Mix cream cheese, ricotta, flour and salt on medium speed, scraping sides of bowl frequently, until very smooth and fluffy, about 5 minutes. Make sure cheese has no lumps. Add sugar and beat until well blended and smooth.

Add chocolate chips and vanilla. Beat until just combined, about 30 seconds. Add eggs, one at a time, also beating until just blended. Do not overbeat. Pour filling into cooled crust and smooth top.

Bake for about 55-65 minutes. The sides will be puffy and the center will look soft and jiggle. Set on rack and cool completely. Cover and refrigerate, at least 8 hours and up to 3 days.

Unclasp and remove side of pan and run a long, thin spatula under the crust. Slide onto flat serving plate carefully (or leave it on the bottom of the springform pan). Garnish with confectioners’ sugar. Dip knife in warm water before cutting each slice, wiping in between cuts.

Pin It!

2 comments:

  1. YUM!!!! As soon as I saw this on Facebook, I immediately shared it with my dad (the baker of the family) and told him that he has to make it. Looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love cannoli's and cheesecake. This looks so good!

    ReplyDelete

I've been told there are issues with comments going through. After you comment, you should see the following message: "Your comment has been saved and will be visible after blog owner approval." If you don't see a message it means the comment didn't go through. Please try commenting again! I'm sorry!