Monday, April 29, 2013

Hot Ham or Roast Beef Sandwiches

I'm on a sandwich kick lately. I can't get enough of them and the possibilities are endless. The Pioneer Woman recently posted these Hot Ham or Roast Beef Sandwiches as yet another version of the ham and Swiss sliders that have been making the rounds lately. SP loves roast beef so I figured I'd make a combo of ham and roast beef sandwiches for dinner.

hamsandwich

While SP enjoys the Sweet Ham and Swiss Sliders, he doesn't really like the sticky, sweet glaze (which happens to be my favorite part). He was a big fan of these because they were individually wrapped, which does make them easier to heat and allows you to make only as many as you need, and the fact that the glaze was turned into a spread that goes on the inside of the sandwich. I made 9 sandwiches plus a mini one for Baby Girl using a leftover slider roll. We ate five for dinner and lunches the next day and the rest went in the freezer for another time.

I forgot to take a photo when we originally had these for dinner and since then I've taken to defrosting a ham sandwich and adding one egg, usually scrambled sometimes fried, for a quick breakfast sandwich that's incredibly delicious (see photo). The mustard-mayo is a great compliment to the egg. I've got some leftover Easter ham in the freezer that I'm planning to use to make more of these.

Hot Roast Beef/Ham and Cheese Sandwiches
As seen on The Pioneer Woman

12 dinner rolls or small sandwich buns
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 tablespoon poppy seeds
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
1 tablespoon prepared horseradish
1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire
1 pound thinly shaved roast beef or ham (or both)
1 pound cheese (provolone, Swiss, mozzarella, cheez whiz)

Slice rolls in half. Mix together mayo, onion powder, poppy seeds, mustard, horseradish, and Worcestershire. Taste and adjust to your personal preference.

To assemble, spread mayo on top and bottom buns. Layer on roast beef or ham, then one or two slices of cheese. Wrap each sandwich in a foil square, and either keep in the fridge, freeze or bake right away.

To bake the sandwiches, put them on a baking sheet in a 350 degree oven for 15 to 20 minutes. The buns should be slightly crusty and the cheese should be melted.
Pin It!

2 comments:

  1. These look delicious, especially since this is a picture of one from the freezer! You make great use out of your freezer meals, I really need to get better at that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was throwing out way too much food before I realized that most things can be frozen. I was shocked by how good these were defrosted. In fact, today I had the final roast beef sandwich for lunch and you'd never know they'd been frozen awhile ago. Just as fresh as if I'd made it today.

      Delete

I've been told there are issues with comments going through. After you comment, you should see the following message: "Your comment has been saved and will be visible after blog owner approval." If you don't see a message it means the comment didn't go through. Please try commenting again! I'm sorry!