Monday, May 20, 2013

Southern-Style Mustard Potato Salad

I have a go-to potato salad I've been making for years, but when my friends Paula and Melissa recently discussed the beauty of Paula's Southern-Style Mustard Potato Salad I figured it was worth a shot.

potatosalad2

The two recipes aren't really that different, mine has celery seed and sour cream where Paula's doesn't, but that's about it. I was looking for an easy side dish to serve with my Philly Cheesesteak Sloppy Joes and since I already had some hard boiled eggs and celery in the fridge I quickly boiled some potatoes, chopped up the other ingredients and tossed them all together.

This was fantastic. Even Baby Girl ate her entire serving, which was a big deal since she hasn't liked any other potato salad. It takes next to no time to prepare and tastes outstanding. Definitely make it a day in advance so the flavors have time to meld.

Southern-Style Mustard Potato Salad
Slightly adapted from The Saucy Southerner

1 1/2 pounds russet potatoes, peeled and cubed
5 eggs, hard-cooked, peeled and very finely chopped
3/4 cup celery, finely diced
1/2 cup red or sweet onion, minced
1/2 cup chopped dill pickles
2 tablespoons dill pickle juice
3 tablespoons yellow mustard
1/2 cup + 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
salt and ground black pepper, to taste

Cook the potatoes in boiling, salted water until just about to fall apart. Drain well in a colander then added back to the hot pan to dry out for 5 minutes.

Place the potatoes, eggs, celery, onion, dill pickles and pickle juice into a large bowl. Add the mustard and mayonnaise, stirring gently so you don't over mix. Try to keep the potatoes unmashed. Add salt and pepper, adjusting to taste.

Refrigerate until ready to serve. Make it a day ahead for best results!

Pin It!

1 comment:

  1. I am just beyond thrilled that you tried this recipe! But more importantly...I am so very excited to get baby girl's seal of approval! P<3

    ReplyDelete

I've been told there are issues with comments going through. After you comment, you should see the following message: "Your comment has been saved and will be visible after blog owner approval." If you don't see a message it means the comment didn't go through. Please try commenting again! I'm sorry!