Monday, October 30, 2006

Pastitsio



When I was growing up my mom made pastitsio for dinner on a semi-regular basis. The pasta, meat and creamy sauce seasoned with cinnamon and other spices was as comforting as it was different from our usual dinners.

I'd been thinking about pastitsio recently so I decided to make it this weekend. I asked my mom for the recipe but because it serves 8, I halved it. My mom recommended doubling the sauce recipe for a "saucier" pastitsio, so I kept the sauce recipe the same while dividing the rest of the ingredients in half.

I made the pastitsio Saturday night, refrigerated it and baked it last night so I could have it for dinner tonight. I was eagerly anticipating a blast from my past, but the dish was not as I remembered it. Despite the extra sauce, the dish was dry, not to mention underseasoned. I think the pasta absorbed too much of the sauce. I'll have to keep tweaking.
Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I've been told there are issues with comments going through. After you comment, you should see the following message: "Your comment has been saved and will be visible after blog owner approval." If you don't see a message it means the comment didn't go through. Please try commenting again! I'm sorry!