Saturday, March 03, 2007

Pizza Friday (Calzones)

In case you haven't noticed, I've been on a real calzone kick lately. This week I made the filling using mushrooms cooked with garlic, sliced pepperoni and black olives, in addition to the usual egg, ricotta, cubed mozzarella and grated Pecorino.

I think this one browned exceptionally well, although I did go a little crazy with the kosher salt:


As always, I served the calzones with plenty of spicy marinara sauce:


An innards shot, with the gooey cheese and assorted fillings:

Pin It!

4 comments:

  1. These look absolutely delightful! What are the 'wrap' things made of? I want to try these but I haven't figured out what the outside is, or how to do it. Is there a recipe somewhere I can try?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Katie - the outside is just pizza dough. You can buy some (which I do) or make your own. Then you make the filling using ricotta cheese (about 1 cup per calzone), cubes of mozzarella, one egg, and whatever you like on top of pizza. Roll out the dough until it's nice and thin, put the filling on half, fold the other half over, seal the edges and bake until the dough is browned. I bake them as high as my oven will go (550 degrees).

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sounds good! I will have to put that on my list for next week's dinner choices. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Even looks pretty!

    ReplyDelete

I've been told there are issues with comments going through. After you comment, you should see the following message: "Your comment has been saved and will be visible after blog owner approval." If you don't see a message it means the comment didn't go through. Please try commenting again! I'm sorry!