Saturday, December 08, 2007

Pizza Friday

Last night we had my parents over for Pizza Friday so I made two pizzas - plain and mushroom. To make the sauce I used a can of Red Pack whole peeled tomatoes, which I feel is the best canned tomato product of those I can easily find in supermarkets. I crushed the tomatoes by hand so there would still be pieces of whole tomato and then added it to a pot with olive oil, salt, pepper and some dried oregano. It thickened and became rich with good tomato flavor.

For the plain I rolled out the dough, layered it first with some shredded mozzarella, then sauce, then more mozzarella. This one cooked on our new square pizza stone and came out exceptionally well:


I love how the cheese browned on top and the flavor was outstanding. I've never made plain pizza at home before but I think it'll definitely go into the rotation.

SP wanted mushrooms so I sliced them and sauteed them in a little oil with some garlic, salt and pepper. This pizza cooked on our old round pizza stone and you can see at the top left edge where there was some spillage:


I guess this means we need another square pizza stone (hint, hint if you're reading this, Mom!) The mushroom pizza had a great depth of flavor from the earthy mushrooms, but I was so enamored by the plain that I ate 3 pieces of that and only 1 of the mushroom. Yum!
Pin It!

2 comments:

  1. this also looks delicious. and I haven't given up yet - I only have another couple of weeks before vacation and probably will try again after the new year. :)

    just cause I'm thinking of it too - I went to the italian market this evening and was thinking I will do carbonara next week (I already had plenty of meats and stuff planned for this week, so I couldn't fit it in). but I am going to actually buy a hunk of pancetta, not thinly sliced, to make it with this time. it's $10.00 per pound, but I don't figure I'll break the bank too much and I'd like to have it again before I go. cause in dallas... well, I'll be eating very boring stuff most days. ;) you'll see.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Melissa - I hope you have better success next time. It really is fantastic to be able to make pizza at home. You know exactly what's going on it and it just tastes so fresh. Yum!

    I would love to buy pancetta from an Italian market. I'm so jealous of you! I hope it works out well. I'm sure it will. :)

    ReplyDelete

I've been told there are issues with comments going through. After you comment, you should see the following message: "Your comment has been saved and will be visible after blog owner approval." If you don't see a message it means the comment didn't go through. Please try commenting again! I'm sorry!