Monday, September 01, 2008

Grilled Mexican Chicken and Stuffed Poblanos

When SP grilled the chicken for dinner on Wednesday he also grilled up some chicken for dinner on Thursday. I rubbed it with a Mexican spice rub I got during another gift exchange and we had it with stuffed poblanos:


Sometimes I have an idea that seems great in my mind, but doesn't work out so well in practice. I bought some poblano peppers at the farmer's market with the intention of making Spanish rice and stuffing the rice inside the pepper, topping the peppers with cheese and baking them for a Mexican version of stuffed peppers. The only problem was that I didn't realize I needed to cook the peppers before stuffing them, so they were pretty raw and crunchy. The sour cream and guacamole went a long way to cooling down our mouths from the spiciness, but the next day the peppers were pretty much inedible. At least the rice was good.

I also failed to take into account how spicy the peppers were when I was processing them. I removed the ribs and seeds with my bare hands, not really thinking it through, and after we ate I noticed the backs of my hands were on fire, kind of like what this guy is dealing with. I think when I washed my hands I redistributed the oil from the peppers to the backs of my hands since my palms and fingers were fine. Taking out my contacts was interesting (as was putting them back in the next morning) and no amount of soaking my hands in milk or baking soda water helped. Fortunately we had some aloe lotion that I slathered on my hands before I went to bed. It allowed me to sleep, thankfully, but I won't be making that mistake again.
Pin It!

2 comments:

  1. I had a not-cooked-enough-pepper issue last weekend too. Annoying. I'm sure the rice and cheese were good though, as was my tuna thing I made with the peppers.

    And I have had the same thing happen to me with the fire hands and dealing with contact lenses. OW OW OW.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Melissa - I hate firey hands! Especially because the dinner was less than stellar, making it not seem worth the pain. :P

    ReplyDelete

I've been told there are issues with comments going through. After you comment, you should see the following message: "Your comment has been saved and will be visible after blog owner approval." If you don't see a message it means the comment didn't go through. Please try commenting again! I'm sorry!