Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Spaghetti and Meatballs

We wanted a hearty, comforting dinner on Sunday, so we turned to an old favorite, spaghetti and meatballs:


SP was in charge of the sauce and I have to say, this batch was one of the best he's ever made. It certainly surpasses anything I've ever had in a restaurant. It was so good I can't even put it into words. It had just the right consistency, tangy but sweet, not too acidic...just perfect in every way. I made the meatballs using my usual recipe and fried them in a little oil:


... before they finished cooking in the sauce while the pasta cooked:


We also had some crusty bread slathered with butter to sop up all the gorgeous sauce:


The sauce was so good we ate all the slices I cut and SP went back for another. And the best part is I made a huge batch of meatballs so we have enough for 2 more meals in the freezer.

Meatballs
Recipe from Lidia Bastianich

1/2 pound ground pork (I use meatloaf mix)
1/2 pound ground beef (I use meatloaf mix)
1 cup fine bread crumbs
1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1/4 cup chopped Italian parsley
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 egg
1 teaspoon salt, and more to taste
1/4 teaspoon pepper, and more to taste
Flour (for coating)
1/4 cup olive oil
1/4 cup vegetable oil

In a large bowl, crumble the pork and beef (or meatloaf mix). Sprinkle with bread crumbs, 1/3 cup grated Parmesan, the parsley, and garlic.

In a small bowl, beat the egg with the 1 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Pour over the meat mixture. With your hands, work the meat until it is evenly blended. Shape the mixture into 1 1/2-inch balls. Dredge the meatballs in flour until they are lightly coated.

In a large heavy-bottom skillet, heat the olive and vegetable oils. When the oil is hot, place as many meatballs in the pan as you can without crowding. Fry for about 6 minutes or until golden brown on all sides. Remove from the pan to drain on papertowels. Repeat with the remaining meatballs.

Add the browned meatballs to the tomato sauce and cook, stirring gently, for 30 minutes or until they are cooked through.
Pin It!

6 comments:

  1. I love meals that allow you to put some away for a meal later on! Your sauce and meatballs look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks beautiful! And I love when there is enough to put some in the freezer!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What is your meatball recipe? Every single frickin' time I make meatballs they come out tasteless and bland. I have tried everything! Help!

    This picture, by the way, nearly made me attack my monitor. Stupid detox diet!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Patsyk - Isn't it great? I love that, too!

    Colleen - Thanks! It was definitely a spectacular meal.

    C Laz - I updated the post to include the recipe. I think meatloaf mix makes ALL the difference.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have Lidia's meatball recipe at home, I believe, and I haven't made them yet but should. They look great.

    And go SP on the fabulous sauce!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yummy! How about the recipe for the sauce too?

    ReplyDelete

I've been told there are issues with comments going through. After you comment, you should see the following message: "Your comment has been saved and will be visible after blog owner approval." If you don't see a message it means the comment didn't go through. Please try commenting again! I'm sorry!