Friday, November 28, 2008

Zesty Broccoli Casserole

I had some broccoli leftover from Sunday's dinner. I was talking to my friend Jenn, who mentioned she had made this recipe for Zesty Broccoli Casserole for her Sunday dinner. I decided to make it the night we had the Swedish meatballs as an experiment.


The gorgeous topping is made with panko and butter and got nicely golden brown in the oven. The casserole itself is basically broccoli and a creamy cheese sauce.


I used all full-fat ingredients (see my modified recipe below) and it was very rich. I think I had about half the amount of broccoli I needed for a full order but I didn't halve the sauce recipe. Next time I'll make sure the proportions are right.


I also left the water chestnuts out because I didn't have them but next time I'll add them in for extra crunch. I can't wait to make this again. Thanks for a great recipe, Jenn!

Zesty Broccoli Casserole
Modified from Cooking Light

3-4 broccoli crowns, cut into bite-size pieces
4 tablespoons butter, divided
1 1/2 cups milk
2 1/2 tablespoons flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
Pinch of nutmeg
3/4 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
1/2 cup cream cheese, softened
1 cup mayonnaise
3/4 cup chopped onion (about 1/2 medium)
1 (8-ounce) can sliced water chestnuts, drained
3/4 cup panko (Japanese breadcrumbs)

Preheat oven to 375°. Arrange broccoli in an even layer in an 11 x 7-inch baking dish coated with butter; set aside.

Melt two tablespoons butter in a large saucepan over medium-high heat then add flour. Cook for 1 minutes, then add milk, salt, pepper and nutmeg; bring to a boil. Cook 1 minute or until thick, whisking constantly. Remove from heat. Add cheddar and cream cheeses; stir until smooth. Stir in mayonnaise, onion, and water chestnuts. Spoon cheese mixture evenly over broccoli.

Place panko in a small bowl. Drizzle with remaining two tablespoons melted butter, and toss. Sprinkle breadcrumb mixture evenly over broccoli mixture. Bake for 25 minutes or until mixture begins to bubble and breadcrumbs brown.
Pin It!

2 comments:

  1. This looks DELICIOUS! Is this what we will be eating on Saturday?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Colleen - Yes!! OMG, it was SO good. I can't wait to have it again. I hope you guys like it. :)

    ReplyDelete

I've been told there are issues with comments going through. After you comment, you should see the following message: "Your comment has been saved and will be visible after blog owner approval." If you don't see a message it means the comment didn't go through. Please try commenting again! I'm sorry!