Saturday, January 03, 2009

Scallop Gratin

The last time I made this dish I used shrimp and scallops and didn't follow Ina's recipe exactly. I wasn't thrilled with the results so this time I used only scallops and actually used the butter in the recipe and it was delicious.


I didn't have Pernod so I left that out and I subbed bacon for the prosciutto. I haven't used my broiler since it's a tray underneath the actual oven so this needed a little more time to finish cooking and browning. I served it with a mixed greens salad tossed with lemon juice, oil, salt and pepper:


I love how this looked before it went into the oven. All that gorgeous butter laced with bacon and seasonings and the crunchy panko crumbs:


This is easy to prepare, although it reminds me why I need gratin dishes. I think this would be even better in individual serving dishes.
Pin It!

4 comments:

  1. I made this after I told you I would. I did it her way, with only scallops, but I made too much sauce (I was adjusting for a lesser scallop amount and didn't adjust enough) so it wasn't crispy at all like I wanted it to be. Good flavor though.

    And I agree about the individual dishes. I think it would broil much better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum, this looks even better than my baked scallops! I can't wait to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Melissa - I'm still looking for the crispiness. I even added additional panko but it didn't help. I'm not sure if it's an issue with not using individual dishes or what, but I want that crispiness.

    Joelen - It's delicious.

    Colleen - It's really good...you should definitely try it.

    ReplyDelete

I've been told there are issues with comments going through. After you comment, you should see the following message: "Your comment has been saved and will be visible after blog owner approval." If you don't see a message it means the comment didn't go through. Please try commenting again! I'm sorry!