Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Jalapeno Popper Chicken

Someone on my cooking board recently asked for ideas for jalapenos and one of the recommendations was this recipe for Jalapeno Popper Chicken. I love jalapeno poppers so I thought I'd give it a try.


Unfortunately this was just too spicy for me. I was hoping for a mild heat, but I guess I left too many ribs and seeds in the jalapenos because this was downright spicy. SP liked it, but wished I had sauteed the jalapenos before combining them with the cheese. I have to agree. This has definite potential but needs some tweaking. I've added my recommendations to the recipe below.



Jalapeno Popper Chicken
Adapted from The Tiny Tyrant's Kitchen

4 chicken breasts
4oz cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup shredded cheese (any flavor)
1 tablespoon oil
4 jalapenos, chopped (ribs and seeds removed)
salt and pepper, to taste
1 cup bread crumbs
1 cup Panko
2 teaspoons taco seasoning
2 eggs

Preheat oven to 350 degrees and lightly grease a baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.

Heat oil in a small skillet over medium-high heat. Add jalapenos and cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Mix together cream cheese, shredded cheese, and jalapeno peppers. Use a knife to make a pocket in each chicken breast. Stuff mixture into pocket. Use a toothpick to secure if necessary. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.

Mix together bread crumbs, Panko and taco seasoning on a plate. Whisk eggs in a separate bowl. Dip chicken into bread crumb mixture then egg and again into bread crumbs.

Place in baking dish and bake for 30 minutes. Remove toothpicks and serve.
Pin It!

5 comments:

  1. We have a running joke in our house whenever we go to a chain restaurant (which isn't often), that we should order jalapeno poppers. In truth, I have never had one. This looks really interesting and I like spice, so I might leave some ribs and seeds in.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my...this looks amazing!! And I love spicy, so this is right up my alley!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks SO yummy. I love cheese and jalapenos, so definitely going to have to try this soon (and will take advantage of your notes/recommendations!).
    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You ladies who like spice, just make sure you leave some of the ribs and seeds in to bump up the spice.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks like a dinner we would love. I don't like a ton of heat, so I'll be sure to follow your advice about the ribs and seeds. Trying this soon! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

I've been told there are issues with comments going through. After you comment, you should see the following message: "Your comment has been saved and will be visible after blog owner approval." If you don't see a message it means the comment didn't go through. Please try commenting again! I'm sorry!