Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Recipe Swap - Vegetable and Cheese Frittata

Want to see what other Breakfast recipes were made during the swap? Here is the link to the Breakfast Recipe Swap Roundup

This week's recipe swap theme was breakfast. When I was a kid I didn't like breakfast foods. I don't know what was I thinking. All those years I missed out on delicious eggs, pancakes, waffles, etc...such a shame. These days I love breakfast and I couldn't wait to see what the wonderful ladies on the cooking board came up with. I was very excited when I got this recipe for Vegetable and Cheese Frittata from Melissa at Lemons and Love. I love all things eggs and just reading the ingredients made my mouth water.


It did not disappoint. I made a few minor substitutions based on what I had on hand (blue cheese for feta, Mexican shredded for cheddar, frozen spinach for fresh, fresh basil for dried) and, honestly, the vegetable and cheese possibilities are endless. I ate two slices for breakfast and could have kept eating. Thanks for a fantastic recipe, Melissa!



Vegetable and Cheese Frittata
Adapted from Lemons and Love

8 eggs, slightly beaten
4 basil leaves, chopped or 1 teaspoon dried basil
pinch of cayenne pepper
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
2 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 cup whole kernel corn
1 cup chopped spinach, fresh or frozen
1 15-oz can diced tomatoes, drained
1/3 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1/4 cup blue or feta cheese, crumbled
kosher salt
freshly cracked black pepper

If you have a broiler, preheat it. If not, preheat the oven to 450 degrees.

In a medium bowl combine eggs, blue or feta cheese, basil, salt and pepper; set aside.

Heat oil in a large broiler-proof skillet; add corn, spinach, tomatoes, cayenne, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Cook, uncovered, over medium heat about 5 minutes or until vegetables are tender, stirring occasionally.

Pour egg mixture over vegetables in skillet. Cook over medium heat. As mixture sets, run a spatula around edge of skillet, lifting egg mixture so uncooked portion flows underneath. Continue cooking and lifting edges until egg mixture is almost set (surface will be moist).

Sprinkle with cheddar cheese. Place the skillet under broiler 4 to 5 inches from heat. Broil for 1 to 2 minutes or until the top is just set and cheese is melted. If you don't have a broiler, bake in the oven for 5-7 minutes until cheese is melted.
Pin It!

1 comment:

  1. I am so glad you enjoyed it as much as me! It looks great.

    ReplyDelete

I've been told there are issues with comments going through. After you comment, you should see the following message: "Your comment has been saved and will be visible after blog owner approval." If you don't see a message it means the comment didn't go through. Please try commenting again! I'm sorry!