Friday, November 04, 2011

Recipe Swap: Pan Roasted Brussels Sprouts

Want to see what other Thanksgiving Side Dish recipes were made during the swap? Here is the link to the Soup/Stew Recipe Swap Roundup

The theme for this week's recipe swap was Thanksgiving Side Dishes. I know some people like to try new dishes each year and I foresee the roundup as a good starting point for people looking for new recipes to try.

I have to admit, I wasn't excited when I saw that my recipe would be Pan Roasted Brussels Sprouts, even if it was submitted by my friend Jaida. Like most people, I'm not a fan of the little cabbages, but I will admit I've never tried pan roasting them before so I was willing to give it a shot.


I halved the recipe since my store sells brussels sprouts loose, but kept the amount of shallots and garlic the same to add flavor. I also skipped the browned butter part because I was too busy making the rest of the dinner. These weren't bad and they are definitely better with plenty of salt and pepper so don't skimp. Even so, I don't think we'll be making these again; not because the recipe isn't good but because we just aren't fans. But if you are a brussels sprouts fan this is a great, simple recipe.

Pan Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Browned Butter
Slightly Adapted from Sweet Beginnings

2 tablespoons olive oil
1 pound raw brussels sprouts, stems cut off then cut in half
2 shallots, sliced
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
2 tablespoons unsalted butter

Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat and add olive oil. Add shallots and garlic and sauté for 1-2 minutes, until fragrant. Add in brussels spouts cut side down, sprinkle with salt and pepper, and cook for 8-10 minutes, tossing every so often, until browned.

Meanwhile, heat a small saucepan over medium heat and add butter. Whisk fairly continuously until butter begins to get golden in color and brown flecks appear. Remove from heat immediately. (I didn't do this step. I combined the oil and butter initially and just cooked everything together to save time)

Remove brussels sprouts from heat and drizzle browned butter over top, then serve.
Pin It!

1 comment:

  1. I have been horrible about commenting lately, so I wanted to come over and say HI!
    Earlier this week, I would not have thought of trying this recipe, however I had a brussel sprout in my veggie mix at dinner and it was amazing!
    Def bookmarking this one. Hope you have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete

I've been told there are issues with comments going through. After you comment, you should see the following message: "Your comment has been saved and will be visible after blog owner approval." If you don't see a message it means the comment didn't go through. Please try commenting again! I'm sorry!