Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Cheese Ravioli with Broccoli Rabe and Sausage

Melissa recently shared this recipe for Cheese Ravioli with Broccoli Rabe and Pancetta as a fast, easy weeknight meal. I was looking for something simple to make the night before Thanksgiving and thought I'd give it a try.


I adapted the recipe to include sausage instead of pancetta since I had some in the freezer that needed to be used up. I also blanched the broccoli rabe before adding it to the skillet to remove some of the bitterness. I loved the simplicity of this meal but SP tends to like pasta dishes with sauce and this didn't really have one. Even so, I'll make this again and just tweak the amount of oil and cheese to make a sauce.

Ravioli with Broccoli Rabe & Sausage
Adapted from I Was Born to Cook

1 bag cheese ravioli
1 bunch broccoli rabe, ends trimmed
3 garlic cloves, chopped
3-4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper (more if you like it spicy)
1/2 lb Italian sausage, casing removed
Salt and pepper to taste
Grated pecorino romano cheese

Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add a generous sprinkling of salt. Cook ravioli according to package directions. Remove ravioli with a strainer to a bowl. Bring water back to a boil. Chop broccoli rabe into large pieces and add to boiling water. Cook 5 minutes, then drain.

Meanwhile, heat oil in a large deep skillet over medium high heat. Crumble sausage into skillet and cook until no longer pink. Add garlic and crushed red pepper, stirring constantly. Add broccoli rabe and heat through. Turn heat down to low, then add ravioli to the skillet. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Mix everything together until ravioli are coated with all ingredients. Add cheese, toss quickly and serve.
Pin It!

2 comments:

  1. I love dishes like this. Sometimes the simplest dishes are the best!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks delicious! I think because you used sausage instead of little pieces of pancetta, it absorbed the oil more, so there wasn't as much "sauce". Definitely add more oil next time.

    ReplyDelete

I've been told there are issues with comments going through. After you comment, you should see the following message: "Your comment has been saved and will be visible after blog owner approval." If you don't see a message it means the comment didn't go through. Please try commenting again! I'm sorry!