Friday, February 10, 2012

Recipe Swap - Potato Bundles

Want to see what other Potato recipes were made during the swap? Here is the link to the Potato Recipe Swap Roundup

Did you know February is National Potato Month? I had no idea either. Since potatoes are a pretty standard yet versatile starch I thought they'd make the perfect theme for a recipe swap. Obviously my fellow swappers agreed because this was another incredibly popular theme. I can't wait to see all the other yummy recipes that are being made.

My recipe came from my friend Amy over at The Nifty Foodie. This is Amy's first time participating in the swap, mostly due to my arm-twisting abilities. She submitted one of her favorite side dishes, Potato Bundles. After reading through the recipe I was excited for two reasons - (1) the recipe sounded incredibly easy and (2) cream + butter + potatoes = my kind of recipe.


These bundles did not disappoint. Aside from peeling and chopping the potatoes and onion, this recipe requires practically no effort. My only word of warning is to double up on the tinfoil. I didn't initially and the cream started leaking out, which caused an unpleasant burning smell. After I fixed that we were golden. SP thought they were a little bland (I didn't agree), but that's easily remedied by switching up the ingredients in the bundles. I'm thinking a little garlic might work well, along with some other spices. Rosemary, thyme or sage would be great. I can't wait to experiment.

This recipe is also great for a crowd because you can double, triple or even quadruple the recipe with very little extra work.

Potato Bundles
Slightly Modified from The Nifty Foodie
Makes 4 bundles

1 lb russet or Yukon gold potatoes
1/2 onion, cut into large dice
1/2 stick butter
1/4 cup heavy cream
Salt and pepper to taste
Paprika to taste
2 tablespoons minced parsley

Required equipment:
8 squares of tinfoil
1 large baking sheet

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Either peel or scrub potatoes, then cut into bite-size pieces.

Lay out 4 double layers of tinfoil. Divide potatoes and onions across the 4 packets. Add 1 tablespoon of butter to each packet. Splash on some cream, then sprinkle with salt, paprika, and black pepper.

Wrap bundles tightly, place on a baking sheet and bake for 45 minutes, or until extremely tender.

Open each packet and sprinkle minced parsley over the top. Serve bundles right on the dinner plate or remove potatoes from each packet onto a plate. Be sure to stir the potatoes around to get all the sauce up from the bottom.
Pin It!

1 comment:

I've been told there are issues with comments going through. After you comment, you should see the following message: "Your comment has been saved and will be visible after blog owner approval." If you don't see a message it means the comment didn't go through. Please try commenting again! I'm sorry!