Friday, May 18, 2012

Recipe Swap: Caprese Burgers

Want to see what other BBQ recipes were made during the swap? Here is the link to the BBQ Recipe Swap Roundup

I love burgers. I love caprese (tomato, fresh mozzarella and basil). But I had never combined the two until I got my recipe for the BBQ recipe swap. The theme was something made on the grill or taken to a BBQ and I lucked out with Coleen's Basil Burgers. As soon as I saw the ingredients I knew this would be an excellent recipe to turn into a Caprese Burger.


The original recipe called for dried basil, but since SP got me a gorgeous basil plant I subbed fresh. I also cut the recipe in half because it was just the two of us eating the burgers. I got 3 good-size burgers from the 1lb of ground beef, which I subbed for the meatloaf mix (ground beef, pork and veal) since we had a lot of ground beef in the freezer. In addition to the fresh mozzarella, which was optional in the original recipe, I added a smear of mayo, a thick slice of fresh tomato and some basil leaves.


This was one crazy delicious burger. I'm kicking myself for not realizing sooner how well caprese and burgers go together. Since we eat a lot of caprese salad during the summer months I plan to make these burgers frequently. SP had been a little nervous about the addition of Worcestershire, basil and garlic powder (he's a burger purist and likes salt and pepper only), but he cleaned his plate in no time flat and deemed this a great variation. Thanks for an amazing recipe, Coleen!

Caprese Burgers
Adapted from Does Not Cook Well With Others
Makes 3 burgers

1 pound ground beef
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
1 tablespoon minced fresh basil
1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
Salt and pepper
Hamburger rolls, toasted
Sliced mozzarella cheese
Mayo, for serving
Sliced tomato, for serving
Leaves of fresh basil

Gently combine ground beef, Worcestershire, basil, garlic powder, salt, and pepper. Divide into 4 portions. Grill over high heat about 6 minutes, turning once, or until desired doneness. Place a slice of cheese on each burger and allow to melt. Serve on rolls with mayo, sliced tomato and fresh basil.
Pin It!

10 comments:

  1. These look so good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had pretty much the same thoughts as you -- I love burgers and caprese and never thought to combine them! But they are delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I need this burger- STAT! It looks amazing. I bet this would be good with grilled chicken too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely. Chicken and caprese go so well together. But it's really awesome on a beef burger.

      Delete
  4. That is one amazing looking burger!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yum, we have all of these ingredients, may have to put these on the menu and hope for some grilling weather next week.

    ReplyDelete
  6. How perfect is this for you, Caprese Queen? ;) Looks delish!

    ReplyDelete

I've been told there are issues with comments going through. After you comment, you should see the following message: "Your comment has been saved and will be visible after blog owner approval." If you don't see a message it means the comment didn't go through. Please try commenting again! I'm sorry!