Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Restaurant Knockoff - Cheese and Garlic Biscuits



I have fond memories of Red Lobster. There, I said it.

When I was growing up my grandmother loved Red Lobster. It was one of the special meals we'd have when I'd visit her after she moved down South. At that time we had to drive about an hour to the closest store whereas now there's a Red Lobster less than 5 minutes from her apartment. I would always get a Caesar salad with my lunch so I could dip the Cheddar Bay Biscuits, hot from the oven, into the leftover dressing. Delicious.

I've see a lot of knockoff recipes floating around but this one for Cheese and Garlic Biscuits claims to be straight from the Red Lobster kitchens so I thought I'd give it a try.


Every time I've made a version of these I kick myself for not getting the yellow cheddar because the color is always wrong with the white cheddar. I must make a mental note to buy yellow cheddar soon. Unfortunately my biscuits weren't as crispy as Red Lobsters. I'm not sure why. Maybe they needed to bake longer? SP got me a huge box of buttermilk baking mix so I'll definitely try these again, upping the cooking time to 12 minutes. I only made half a batch since we were going out of town (to visit my grandmother, actually) and we ate all 6 in one sitting. Oops!

Cheese Garlic Biscuits
Red Lobster, Myrtle Beach via The Way to His Heart

2 cups buttermilk baking mix
2/3 cup milk
1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1/4 cup butter or margarine melted
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder

Preheat oven to 450 F.

Combine buttermilk baking mix, milk and cheese with a wooden spoon until soft dough forms. Beat vigorously for 30 seconds.

Drop dough onto an ungreased cookie sheet, approximately two tablespoons per biscuit.

Bake 10-12 minutes, until golden brown and crispy.

Combine melted butter and garlic powder: brush over warm biscuits before removing from cookie sheet.

Serve warm.

Makes 10 to 12 biscuits.
Pin It!

4 comments:

  1. I never even thought to try making these myself, but I will say that Steve and I also have a lot of fond memories of Red Lobster. It was a big deal dinner for us for years, before I cooked, before I knew about anything other than chain restaurants. And even at that, we had it again a few years ago and it was still really good. So there! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I use a different recipe but use white and get a good color and crust but I use steam when first putting them in. I either drop a little water on a pan that always lives in my oven or I use the dutch oven method but with a casserole dish for rolls.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The recipe I have is also slightly different. It uses butter in the actual dough also. I haven't tried it myself but my friend that doesn't really cook at all likes this recipe the most. He just would only up the cheese though since he really likes it more cheesy.

    ReplyDelete

I've been told there are issues with comments going through. After you comment, you should see the following message: "Your comment has been saved and will be visible after blog owner approval." If you don't see a message it means the comment didn't go through. Please try commenting again! I'm sorry!