Tuesday, July 03, 2012

Beef and Bean Burritos


I'm really getting into beans lately. They're so good for you and versatile to boot. I really need to start keeping a few cans in the pantry for those nights when I don't know what to make for dinner. I remember one of my favorite meals when I studied abroad in England was pasta with tomatoes, red or green bell pepper, onions, garlic and a can of red kidney beans. I cooked all the veggies in olive oil and the oil made a nice sauce for the pasta. It was delicious.

But, I digress. This post is about these Spicy Beef and Bean Burritos, which Jill thoughtfully posted on the day I was planning to make Beef Tostados only to realize the night before that I'd used up all the bacon. Can't make homemade refried beans without bacon (well, you probably could but why would you want to?) And thus these burritos were born.

I omitted the can of black beans from the original recipe, subbing in one pound of ground beef since I'd already defrosted it for the tostados. I also left out the chipotle pepper since I wanted Baby Girl to eat it and swapped the cucumber for avocado since I had one in the fridge that needed to be used up. This recipe makes a ton of filling, so I ended up freezing about half of it. That will come in nice and handy when I need another fast dinner. I made a quesadilla with the leftover filling for lunch the next day that was positively lip-smacking. Unfortunately my tortillas were fajita-size so the burrito I attempted to photograph wasn't really big enough to cut in half, but it was still delicious.

Thanks for saving the day, Jill!

Spicy Beef and Bean Burritos
Modified from Annie’s Eats, as seen on JBean Cuisine

2 teaspoons olive oil
1 small onion, diced
1 lb ground beef
2 cloves garlic, grated or minced
1 teaspoon chili powder
1 teaspoon minced chipotle in adobo sauce (I omitted)
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 small pinch of cayenne pepper
1 (15 oz.) can black beans, drained and rinsed
1/3 cup water, vegetable broth or chicken broth
Salt and pepper to taste
6 tablespoons of your favorite store-bought salsa

For serving:
6 (9- or 10-inch) flour tortillas, warmed
Shredded cheddar cheese
Diced cherry tomatoes
Shredded romaine lettuce
Diced red onion
Diced avocado
Low-fat sour cream or Greek yogurt
Diced cilantro

Heat the oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onion and sauté until translucent and slightly brown. Add the beef and cook until no longer pink. Drain off any fat. Add the garlic, chili powder, chipotle, cumin, salt and cayenne; stir, cooking just until fragrant, 30-60 seconds. Add the beans and the water or broth to the skillet. Season with salt and pepper. Bring the mixture to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium-low and allow the mixture to simmer for 10 minutes. Remove the skillet from the heat and stir in the salsa.

Spoon about a third of a cup of the bean mixture down the center of each tortilla. Top each serving with a pinch of shredded cheese, tomatoes, lettuce, onion, avocado, cilantro and sour cream. Roll the tortilla up tightly, burrito style, and serve immediately.
Pin It!

8 comments:

I've been told there are issues with comments going through. After you comment, you should see the following message: "Your comment has been saved and will be visible after blog owner approval." If you don't see a message it means the comment didn't go through. Please try commenting again! I'm sorry!