Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Spinach and Cheese Stuffed Portabellos


I'm particularly proud of this recipe for a number of reasons, the main one being SP absolutely loved it. Now, I did kind of stack the deck with a stuffed mushroom because the man loves, loves, loves mushrooms, but it's still a vegetarian meal. Despite needing to eat less meat/eat healthier he's not exactly thrilled by all these changes to his diet.

The other reason I'm so proud is because I had to modify this recipe, the original being Lasagna-Stuffed Portabellos. I had half a container of ricotta in the fridge that I assumed would be OK. When I opened it, however, I realized it had gone rancid. Not a good smell. I decided to forge ahead by wilting the spinach I'd planned to serve on the side and add it to the filling. I was worried these would be too dry but they were perfect. I didn't even miss the ricotta, whose absence made this a much healthier meal. Score!

Spinach and Cheese Stuffed Portabellos
Inspired by Pink Parsley

4 cloves garlic, minced and divided
1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning, divided
2 tablespoons olive oil
kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
4 portabello mushroom caps
1 bag baby spinach
1/4 cup Parmesan, plus 2-3 tablespoons for sprinkling over mushrooms
4 oz. fresh mozzarella, divided
2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
1/4 cup breadcrumbs
About 1 cup marinara sauce

Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Use a butter knife to scrape the gills out of the mushroom caps.

In a small bowl, combine 1 clove minced garlic, 1/4 teaspoon of the Italian seasoning, olive oil, and salt and pepper to taste. Brush the inside and outside of the caps with the mixture, and roast cap-side down for about 10 minutes. If the mushroom gives off water, blot it up with a paper towel.

Meanwhile, heat a skillet over medium heat. Add 1 teaspoon oil and 2 cloves minced garlic. Once the garlic is fragrant, add the baby spinach and cook, stirring often, until wilted. Allow to cool slightly, than drain off the liquid.

in a medium bowl stir together 1 clove minced garlic, Italian seasoning, Parmesan, 3 ounces of mozzarella, basil, breadcrumbs and wilted spinach. Season with salt and pepper to taste.

Spoon about 2 teaspoons of the marinara into each mushroom cap, then stuff with the spinach mixture. Spoon about 1-2 teaspoons of sauce over the ricotta, then sprinkle the remaining Parmesan and mozzarella over the sauce.

Bake 10-15 minutes, or until the filling is heated through and the cheese has melted. Serve with additional marinara.
Pin It!

2 comments:

  1. I love the addition of spinach! I'm totally trying that next time I make these!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Way to go! On all counts! :D

    ReplyDelete

I've been told there are issues with comments going through. After you comment, you should see the following message: "Your comment has been saved and will be visible after blog owner approval." If you don't see a message it means the comment didn't go through. Please try commenting again! I'm sorry!