Tuesday, August 14, 2012

The Best Tuna Salad

I recently met a former coworker for lunch at a nearby park. We prefer picnic lunches at the park to going out because it not only saves money, we get to spend some much-needed time outside breathing in the fresh air. I wanted something easy to bring to lunch and remembered Melissa posting about The Best Tuna Salad awhile back.


I cut the recipe down to one can since I only needed enough for one sandwich. I really, really enjoyed this version of tuna salad, which isn't all that different from how I usually make it. I saved a little bit of the tuna to make a tuna melt for Baby Girl's dinner. She also enjoyed it, although by the end of the sandwich she was picking the cheese and tuna off the bread. The kid is a carbaholic so that says something. Tuna melts were apparently all I would eat at her age so I was happy to see she enjoyed it as much as I used to.

The Best Tuna Salad
From Cook's Country Magazine, as seen on I Was Born to Cook

1 can solid white tuna packed in water
1/2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
2 tablespoons minced onion
1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
Pinch of sugar
Salt and pepper
1/4 cup mayonnaise
1 celery stalk, finely chopped

Drain tuna and pat dry with a paper towel. Place oil and onion in a microwave-safe bowl and microwave for about 2 minutes, until onion begins to soften. Mix with tuna, lemon juice, sugar, and salt and pepper to taste. Let marinate for 10 minutes. Stir in mayo and celery and chill before serving.
Pin It!

2 comments:

  1. Mmmmm ... I use sweet relish in place of the sugar but, the lemon is new to me and a very good idea. Gonna try it your way. I LUV a good tuna sammy.
    Thanks so much for sharing.

    Have a Great day and Peace with you,
    Barb

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yummy in my tummy! Looks so fresh for summer!First stop here and loving it. Thanks for sharing :)
    xox
    Ash
    http://abpetite.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

I've been told there are issues with comments going through. After you comment, you should see the following message: "Your comment has been saved and will be visible after blog owner approval." If you don't see a message it means the comment didn't go through. Please try commenting again! I'm sorry!