Friday, September 21, 2012

Recipe Swap - Fried Green Tomato BLTs

As much as I enjoy the Blogger's Choice recipe swaps, they are definitely more difficult than the themed swaps. Having to actually pick a recipe is tough. For this installment of Blogger's Choice I was given Kim's blog, Feed Me Seymour. I love the name and had a tough time picking a recipe. I had it narrowed down to four choices and ultimately gave SP final say. It wasn't a shock when he chose Fried Green Tomato BLTs. The man loves a good BLT.


The sandwiches sounded delicious but I was concerned about my ability to find green tomatoes in the supermarket. I've never noticed them before and, as suspected, they didn't have any. I chose a firmer red tomato and hoped for the best.

These were absolutely delicious, if messy. The tomatoes held together pretty well during the frying process but didn't get crispy or golden brown like I hoped they would. I wonder if Panko would be a better choice, if not exactly authentic. The sweet basil mayo was positively addicting and I was sad that there wasn't more of it (the recipe below makes just enough for two sandwiches). I hope I can find green tomatoes at some point so I can make these properly.


As an aside, I wish I could take better pictures of sandwiches. I haven't been able to figure out how to get a good inside shot while still showing the whole sandwich.

Fried Green Tomato BLTs
As seen on Feed Me Seymour
Makes 2 sandwiches

Fried Green Tomatoes
1 large green tomato (or firm red tomato)
1 cup flour
1 cup breadcrumbs (or Panko)
1 teaspoon chili powder
2 eggs
salt and pepper to taste

Slice the tomato into thick slices.

Put the flour on one plate. Put your eggs, beaten, in a shallow bowl. Combine chili powder, salt and pepper and breadcrumbs on a third plate. One at a time, dip the tomato slices in the flour to coat. Tap off the excess flour. Put them next in the egg, coating them, then in the breadcrumb mix and fully coat.

Heat a sauce pan with about an inch of oil over medium high heat. Once the oil is hot, place the tomato slices in the pan. Cook them on one side until golden brown, about a minute. Gently flip them to the other side and cook until golden brown. Remove from the pan and place on a paper towel to drain. Season with salt and pepper to taste.

Sweet Basil Mayo
1 cup loosely packed fresh basil leaves
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
Kosher salt and freshly cracked black pepper

In a food processor, combine basil, mayo, lemon juice and mustard. Pulse a few times until combined. Add salt and pepper to taste.

Sandwiches
4 slices thick sandwich bread, toasted
4 fried green tomatoes
Lettuce
8 to 12 slices crispy bacon
Sweet basil mayo

Slather one slice of bread with sweet basil mayo. Be generous. Layer on two fried green tomatoes. Next, add 4 slices bacon. Top with lettuce and the other slice of bread.



Pin It!

7 comments:

  1. The sweet basil mayo is so addicting. It becomes hard not to slather it on everything!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look good. I love panko, and tomatoes out here are delicious, so I'm sure the red tomato was just as good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never had fried green tomatoes - never knew it could be so easy! I'll definitely have to make some.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum! I am on a BLT kick lately. I could probably find green tomatoes in my garden right now! I like your picture, too :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am intrigued by Fried Green Tomatoes, and should I come across any, I'm definitely making this!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wish you had found them, they are totally different from a ripe tomato. If you have a farmer's market, or vegetable stand nearby they probably have them.

    ReplyDelete

I've been told there are issues with comments going through. After you comment, you should see the following message: "Your comment has been saved and will be visible after blog owner approval." If you don't see a message it means the comment didn't go through. Please try commenting again! I'm sorry!