Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Tropical Chicken Kabobs

As summer winds down I've been thinking back to some of my favorite summer meals. One thing I loved this summer were skewers. My favorite was definitely the Bang Bang Chicken Skewers, but really you can thread some meat and veggies on skewers, grill them up and my family will devour them. These Tropical Pork Kabobs were no exception.

tropical skewers

I rarely cook pork so the first thing I did was swap it out for chicken. I also prefer to keep each ingredient on its own skewer(s) since they have different cooking times. I goofed and forgot to defrost the chicken early enough to marinate it overnight, something I highly recommend so the flavors have time to really seep into the meat.

tropical skewers2

We all enjoyed this with couscous. There really is nothing like grilled meat and veggies in the summer.

Tropical Chicken Kabobs
As seen on The Barbee Housewife, from So Tasty, So Yummy

1/4 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup pineapple juice
1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1 teaspoon chili garlic sauce
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1 lb. chicken breasts, cut in 1 inch cubes
1 pineapple or 1 20 oz. can, cut in 1 inch cubes
1 onion, cut in 1 inch cubes
1 zucchini, cut in 1/2 inch pieces
1 pint grape tomatoes
1/2 lb. whole button mushrooms

In a medium bowl, whisk together the soy sauce, pineapple juice, rice wine vinegar, garlic, chili garlic sauce, and brown sugar. Reserve 3 tablespoons of the marinade. Place the chicken and the marinade, in a plastic bag, keeping the reserved aside. Marinate overnight.

Pre-heat the grill. Skewer the chicken, pineapple, onion, zucchini, tomatoes and mushrooms. Place the skewers on the grill, baste with the reserved marinade every time you turn the skewers. Cook until the chicken is done, about 6 minutes per side. Let rest for 5 minutes before serving.
Pin It!

1 comment:

I've been told there are issues with comments going through. After you comment, you should see the following message: "Your comment has been saved and will be visible after blog owner approval." If you don't see a message it means the comment didn't go through. Please try commenting again! I'm sorry!